Today the third meeting of the Engineering Steering Committee took place. This post contains a short summary of the topics that were covered.
Luca Milanesio, David Pursehouse, Alice Kober-Sotzek, Ben Rohlfs, Patrick Hiesel
Munich, June 11, 12:30 - 13:15 CEST
The next meeting will be held on June 25, 12:30 CEST.
Luca's proposed documentation of the current process that is used for creating new plugins was accepted and submitted. We should now begin looking into what we want to change in that process, i.e. how do we decide that a plugin is ‘unmaintained’ and deprecate it?
Work was started on collecting a list of existing plugins, their status, and usage. This is still ongoing.
Plugins are not consistently versioned. We should propose a process to improve this.
Some of the changes related to this were cleaned up and submitted, and will be included in the next maintenance releases. There are still some changes and feature requests in progress, but they need more feedback.
The announcement was reviewed by maintainers, and then sent to the project mailing list.
The schedule for the upcoming summit in Gothenburg (August) will be announced after it has been reviewed by speakers, and there will be a call for proposals for the user summit in Sunnyvale (November).
We would like to switch to building JGit from source in the Gerrit tree, rather than consuming prebuilt artifacts. Work was started on this some time ago by Shawn Pearce; we should revive that and make it work with Bazel. We also need to consider how to work around the fact that JGit source code currently doesn't comply with the same Error Prone checks as Gerrit.
We are aware that Gerrit/JGit with Java 8 can run into memory issues in specific setups and think that upgrading to Java 11 could help. Even though we can‘t upgrade immediately, it’s one of the items we intend to put on our roadmap.
Wyatt agreed to step down as maintainer, but will keep in touch with the project.
Viktar and Becky remain maintainers. Viktar is still involved in plugin reviews, and will attend the user summit in Gothenburg. Becky would like to remain in touch with the project and will look for ways to contribute in future.
Patrick will follow up on the quota backend changes that were proposed during the Munich hackathon.
Work is ongoing to be able to enable protocol V2 on master. It depends on the new permission-aware ref database, which in turn depends on a new release of JGit.
Version 2.15.14 will be released this week; 2.16.9 and 3.0.1 will follow later, but no specific date is decided yet.